Because I've been so interested in the Arts and Crafts movement and the uncomfortable relationship between art and craft, I decided that would be my angle. I decided to do a two-part presentation, which meant I only had to go to 5 local schools 2 times each. During the first part, I talked about art and asked the kids if art was just painting and sculpture or if it could be other things too. We then talked about craft and used textiles as an example. I showed them how to spin, knit, and weave and showed them both practical and artistic applications for these techniques. Then, in the second part, each kid got to weave their own project.
This was a big undertaking and required a lot of prep. First, I had to find a weaving store. When I worked at the Weavers Guild of Minnesota I had access to any kind of weaving product, yarn, and advice I could imagine. I never really understood why visitors to the Guild were so impressed and jealous of our facilities. But after a frustrating search for supplies here, it started to make sense. The only weaving "store" I could find was in the Costa Mesa garage of a 90-something year old man.
The store reminded me of Patty Johnson's Color Crossing in Wisconsin -- if everything in Patty's store was coated in a thick layer of dust and cobwebs. A few women were working on looms in the back. They eyed me suspiciously as I scanned the little old man's shelves for yarn that wasn't too thin or too overpriced. I reluctantly settled on carpet warp, priced only a few dollars too much per cone. The carpet warp, I decided, would make a tolerable little sample warp for my rigid heddle frame loom. I would warp that up to show the kids how a "complicated" loom worked very similarly to the "simple" looms they'd be using.
I went into Guild withdrawal again when I realized I didn't have a warping board to wind my warp. I remembered one of the Guild members telling me I could measure my warp using a door knob -- a concept I thought I understood, but really didn't. But the idea inspired me to use the many doorknobs on my bathroom cabinets as a makeshift warping board. Of course I couldn't get the nicely wound strings off the cabinets without cutting them and could only wind about 15 at a time, but I did end up with a workable warp.
My first pupil was Chad, who excelled. He helped me make a dozen sample projects to show the kids what they could do. Teaching Chad came in handy; at the end of my presentations, I lost my voice and recruited him to help me with the kids.
I don't know if I am cut out to be a teacher, but I must admit that this was a much more rewarding experience than grading all those papers! Maybe little kids aren't so bad after all...
3 comments:
I miss teaching so very much! I am so impressed you! When are you coming for a visit?!?!?
Sweet Tash. Nice job - lots of work. The kids look happy. Creative on your part.
They're projects look great and like they're fun. good work :)
Post a Comment