There is now a Sonic Burger in St Paul. It's a drive in; you park next to a menu, push a button, and order your food. The fast food employee repeats your order in muffled static and then you get to pay with a credit card just like you're at a gas station. It's hot in the car since it's not running. The guy next to you invariably ends up screaming his order to the machine and breaks your concentration.What are you concentrating on? Well, what you SHOULD HAVE got, of course. After you order and pay, you see a sign for an Island Heat SuperSonic Burger. Your gut tells you that is definitely better than the plain old SuperSonic Burger you almost ordered. No, you decided you just had to try a chili cheese coney because you had to know if it was really a coney or a mere imitation. Would the tator tots have been a better compliment? Oh my God, they have a pineapple shake. Why didn't you see that sooner?
Those are all my thoughts as I wait for the carhop to bring my food. The other thought I have is that this experience sets the stage for California. In California, I will eat all my food outdoors or in my car so I can embrace the environment. In California, I will eat all my food from the "fast" genre because I will be poor. In California, I will get excited about stupid things like Sonic Burger because, well, I don't know. Because that's how it's gonna be.
In California, I will not get the coney. I will definitely get the tots. And the pineapple shake. But not the coney.
1 comment:
OH MY GOD, Sonic is finally here?! I've been seeing the commercials fooorever and there weren't any here. It pissed me off! Yay, I see a future Thursday outing.
Post a Comment